N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ok guy's and gal's our membership application and due's for 2016 will be collected .you can down load print and fill out and bring to the next meet and greet's
If you will not be at the next meet and greet please PM me and i will give you my mailing address

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanic and Engine advice  (Read 93 times)

techswreck

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
Mechanic and Engine advice
« Reply #-1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:54 PM »

Hello Fellow members. I hope everyone is doing well.

here is my jeep:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/d/2002-jeep-grand-cherokee/6333362047.html

I blew my engine and then had it tested and found out someone put something in my jeep. So now im thinking about replacing the stock engine with a 4.7 I6 stroker engine.

Back in July I did a lot of upgrades myself. Front and back HD tow brake kit, HD ball joints, new hub  assemblies. O2 sensors new exhaust 2.5" through, high flow cat and many more.

1. is it worth it for what I have? I dont mind spending the money about $2800 for the engine

2. Is there a reputable jeep mechanic anywhere in NYC. I know there is Goonies in LI and Total Performance in NJ where I had my lift kit put in but my jeep is not drivable and needs to be towed so would like to save money on that.

I really love my jeep spent a lot of time building it.

Any help and ideas are sincerely appreciated.

Cybergrunt

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Secretary - Member #107
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic and Engine advice
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »

Well that completely sucks about your WJ.  Any idea what they put in your tank?  Try to isolate what it did to your motor.  See if rebuild is an option.  I know you want to go with a stroker but good to keep all options open.  Obviously in addition to engine you have to look at everything from your gas cap to the fuel injection system.  I'm out on the Island so Goonies is the closest garage to me.  Maybe John at Goonies has a WJ or two to get parts?  He's very reasonable with his prices.  Alternative would be to go to a U-Pick auto yard, but they generally won't have a gas tank (if needed).  Try to find out what the contaminant was.

techswreck

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »

Cybergrunt thanks for your reply. Just to get my jeep to goonies I would have to pay $200 in towing. which is a bit too much for me right now.

my mechanic quoted $2000 for the used engine installed. When I asked if that works well he replied it works just fine.

I don't know which route to take I am so confused.

Cybergrunt

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Secretary - Member #107
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »

Hey, how to you make out with this?  Curious which route you took.
Pages: [1]   Go Up