N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Paid member meet sunday march 6 2016 at jacksons in commack LI. all info in the event section .

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Edition Build  (Read 1762 times)

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Edition Build
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »

Wow, been a while...  So let's catch this up. Last year at Trailfest I destroyed my third? front shaft, popped a c-clip on the u-joint on the long side the first day and didn't catch it until I was on the road to the trail the next morning so... John Croak lent me his spare and we swapped it out with time to get into a group for the day. Had a great morning and then sometime early to mid-afternoon I hooked my rear bumper on a rock when the group stopped in Snakebite and didn't realize I had, so when the group started rolling I gave it a try and POP!!! Cries of AXLE SHAFT sounded through the air but I was not so fortunate!  My rear stock Rubicon shafts survived but my ring and pinion that Marty setup were GONE and it turned out the Yukon Zip Locker had gotten the flange on the housing bent. Joe, John, John, Bill, and others (hey, I'm old, its late, and it was 8 months ago... I sincerely appreciate the help I got and if I missed your name please remind me and I will edit this) dove in and we got the ring gear off and put the carrier back in to locate the shafts so I could drive home on the front axle. Joe's lovely fiance and pup even kept my kids occupied.

I got the Jeep home and Evan from Evan's 4x4 took care of swapping out the gears but he pointed out that the carrier was bent and the flange on one of the rear shafts was also bent so I wound up getting a replacement Zip Locker ordered from Yukon, I didn't touch the pinion since Evan set that but I had to do the backlash. I also got a set of Revolution rear shafts and I swapped a fresh used stub on my long front and gave John his spare back (thanks again John)!
    At some point I also figured out that the stock center console and the Corbeau seats were trying to live in the same space and that doesn't seem to work out well SO... I took a tall 50 cal ammo can and modified it and my e-brake bracket so that the e-brake handle comes out the front of it and then I welded a short 50 cal can to the lid of the tall one, modified the latch for the tall one, set up an internal lock for the tall one and a lock on the short one keyed to match my Tuffy boxes. I cleaned up the welds a little and sprayed the setup black and made a pad for the top with some foam and tan cloth.

So now I had a comfortable armrest with somewhat secure storage. I added a set of auto parts store cup holders and fixed up my home made trans tunnel cover with some black paint and a new rubber shift boot and that got the interior to where it is now. Oh and I move the switches to the dash.

I finally recently picked up some Carbon front chromo shafts to replace the stock ones that I keep killing.

I also had my ARB CKMA 12 die on me. The bolt that attached the connecting rod to the flywheel snapped. I tried to find the parts online as I was fairly sure the warranty was expired but couldn't find them so I called support and asked them if I could buy them. The tech told me that technically they had the parts BUT they had improved the design so he was sending me a new motor... turns out he sent pretty much the whole thing minus the bracket and a couple bolts without ever even asking for proof of purchase so GREAT service ARB!  I think that covers most of the big stuff. Oh, I also re-shimmed the front axle since there was absolutely NO pre-load on that carrier.

I also had the alternator die back in September, I replaced it with one for a 2004 Durango with the plow kit and 4.7 Liter engine, 160 amp upgrade!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:28:09 PM by stwilson74 »

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Edition Build
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »

I am very happy to report I ran the rear locker most of the day on a club member run and it worked like a charm, no leaks! 

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up