N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ok guy's and gal's our membership application and due's for 2016 will be collected .you can down load print and fill out and bring to the next meet and greet's
If you will not be at the next meet and greet please PM me and i will give you my mailing address

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tub mounted tire/cargo carrier  (Read 1186 times)

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Tub mounted tire/cargo carrier
« Reply #-1 on: October 29, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »

There are probably literally hundreds or thousands of different tire carriers on the market that we can buy and bolt on. I did just that about nine years ago when I got rear-ended in my LJ and used the insurance money to upgrade to a Hanson Enterprise bumper and tire carrier. I love the bumper but the tire carrier has had issues. It has broken welds, rattles, the latch is absolutely horrid and opens on its own or not at all depending on its' mood... suffice it to say I don't like it. For several years I have been contemplating building stronger tailgate hinges and putting the tire carrier back on the tailgate, and then a couple of years ago the Exogate came out and from the pictures it looks pretty much like what I wanted to build so I got excited... and then I saw the price was $400. To be 100% honest that is a fair price if the product is good and I have every reason to believe it is BUT its still twice what I wanted to pay and from the pictures there are a few things I would want to change. Anyway, I have been asked to post up what I built, I will probably have to go back and do some editing as I remember details but here goes;

Shopping list, I bought more than what I needed by a little because hey, extra steel can always be used somewhere.
12 ft - 3x1x11GA (.120 wall) rectangular steel tube
2 ft - 3x2x3/16 wall rectangular steel tube
2 ft - 1-1/8 OD x.250 wall x .625 ID DOM
2 ft - 2-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 3/16 rectangular steel tube
4 ft - 3/4 OD 16GA steel tube
2 - 4" long 1/2" grade 8 bolts
2 - 1/2" grade 8 nuts
4 - 1/2" washers
4 - 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD x 3/4" length bronze flange bearings
1/4" steel plate (had it lying around, still have more left)
About 1.5 ft of 1" square steel tube, light gauge, cut off the old carrier upgrade I had made.
Assorted bolts for mounting to the stock bolt holes

Most of this stuff was bought at local hardware stores and steel suppliers over time, I ordered the DOM online.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:17:29 AM by stwilson74 »

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tub mounted tire/cargo carrier
« on: October 29, 2015, 10:25:34 PM »

Before I bought anything I did a bunch of measuring and figuring out and sketching/drafting what I wanted to build. I have aluminum corners, if I had steel I might have just welded right to the corner but one of my goals was to end up not weighing more than the old tire carrier. I made a cardboard template of the steel hinge plate, if I find it I'll add a picture but wasn't originally planning on doing a full build article. Basically my point is draw it first, pencils are cheap, then make it in cardboard which is usually free if you've bought anything, THEN start cutting steel.

I made a frame to re-enforce the tailgate as a starting point. This was built out of the 3" x1" x11GA rectangular tube. I made it large enough to hold the whole tire without covering the latch. I drilled out the bolt holes over-sized and then welded in 1" sections of the 3/4" steel tube to prevent the rectangle tube from collapsing with the bolts tightened down. This might be over-kill but I like over-kill. The four stock carrier bolts along with the four hinge bolts hold the frame onto the tailgate. The top piece crosses the air vent so I had to notch it and then I flipped the piece I cut out and welded it back in to get back the structural rigidity.

Once I got the frame made I went ahead and rough-cut my hinge plate. I used the four tub-mounted hinge bolt locations and then drilled two additional holes and installed nutserts. I wanted the hinges to pivot the same way as the factory ones for hard-top glass functionality so I measured the stock hinges and then chucked a 1-1/8" metal cutting hole saw up in my drill press and drilled vertically through the 2-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3/16" rectangle tube, once I had a hole through the top and bottom I used a cutoff wheel to cut through the sides down the middle of the holes giving me two pieces of equal length ready to weld DOM in. I cut two pieces of the 1-1/8" DOM to 2-1/2" length and welded them to the holesaw cuts giving me this

After I finished welding all sides I put a 3/4" drill bit in the drill press and bored out the DOM so I could install the bushings.

Then I drilled the hinges for the bolts, I used the 1-1/8" hole saw from the back side to make it easier to get the bolts in, I didn't feel I needed to sleeve and use both sides of the hinge tube since it is 3/16" wall. Now that I had the frame and hinges made I bolted up the plate and started fitting the hinges up. I also pulled the tail light off. I used some more cardboard to template the hinge flanges that needed to be welded to the plate, drilled and ground them and then with the bolts in I tacked them to the plate with heavy tack welds.

Then it was time to test opening and closing it.

At this point I was satisfied with the fitment so I pulled it apart, fully welded the hinge plate, and then used a cut off wheel and flap wheel to give it some shape. After it was all prettied up I bolted everything back together so I could measure for the tire mount. I put some chunks of wood on top of my bumper and a ratchet strap from one side of the roll cage to the other to position the spare tire where I wanted it and then I crawled into the back of the Jeep and measured where the mount needed to be and made some marks on my new door frame. Then I cut and notched the 3" x2" x3/16" rectangle tube and welded it to the top bar of the frame. The one piece I re-used from my Hanson carrier was the wheel flange with the studs in it that is set up to bolt over the 3" x 2" tube. You can buy flanges set up for studs from some of the fab shops for pretty cheap or make your own but I had this one.

Next up, mount the spare!

At this point I made a spacer for the bottom rubber snubber, this is very important, it needs to hit the tire to help prevent twisting.

I added a piece of 1" square light gauge steel tube to the top of the spare mount and welded a small piece of plate on top of that which I drilled and tapped for my third brake light mount and drilled a hole to mount my CB antenna. At this point I also went back and pulled one hinge bolt at a time and drilled the DOM tubes in the middle and tapped them and then installed the zerk fittings. Then it was time to blow it all apart, sand, clean, prime, and paint it all and then re-install it.

Hope this helps, I will try to correct any mistakes in the next few days. Sorry there aren't more photos, when I get rolling I forget to snap pictures.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:31:12 PM by stwilson74 »

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »

Here are some photos of the back so you can see the 1" square tube. I had previously modified the third brake light to work with the modifications I made to the Hanson tire carrier, I had to put a couple more bends in the piece of flat stock to get it out of the way of the CB antenna but that was easy. I really just got the wires out of the way and cut the top of the stock third brake light off and then drilled a hole in the back for the bolt, a larger hole in the front (actually rear) for socket wrench access, and extended the wires. The flat stock is easier to see in the side view and was just a piece from the hardware section of Home Depot. I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the square shoulder of the carriage bolt and then used my press to broach the bolt through. Not that its super fancy but I like my little touches.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:04:55 PM by stwilson74 »

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »

Just wanted to update this, the carrier has been on the Jeep for just over a month and has seen two offroad trips along with over 1000 street miles. It's still holding strong and swings smoothly and doesn't rattle at all with the 35" spare mounted.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Vice President - Member #102
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 07:51:10 AM »

Good job  ;)
2011 jku rubicon, black

busyjeeper

• Forum Newbie