N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Paid member meet sunday march 6 2016 at jacksons in commack LI. all info in the event section .

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine sound need help  (Read 996 times)

Anthony Maggiotta

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
Engine sound need help
« Reply #-1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:13:14 PM »

Hey guys so I started my 97 XJ 4.0 up last night and it was making a sound almost like a belt squeal and then I just drove it and it sounds like it's coming from the flywheel area. Anyone have any in put on this? Did I maybe spin a bearing? Is it possible that a rock or a plate is rubbing on the flywheel? I'm lost right now. I was gonna bring it to jeep to my friend to see why the check engine light was on but if you guys think it's something bad I'm probably gonna not drive it.

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Engine sound need help
« on: February 14, 2016, 08:38:46 AM »

Did you get anywhere on this? If not I'd say start it and get under there to see exactly where it is coming from. Listening from the driver seat is deceptive, sounds bounce around so it could well be the water pump if you just listened while driving. If you spun a bearing then you are already looking at a full rebuild, the crank is likely shot and there will be metallic particulate throughout the engine. Is it an automatic or a manual? If its a manual then it could be the throw-out bearing in which case its not so bad, clutch kit is under $200 and some fun labor to replace. Good luck man, hope its not a spun bearing.

Whosyadadie02

• NYCJC Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »

Deff get under it and try to listen around with it running, noises deff bounce around in the engine bay tho so it's a little tricky.

insanitize

• NYCJC Member
  • Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »

You don't say whether it's an auto or manual trans. If it's a manual it could be the throw out bearing.
2007 Modded and abused, the trashiest JK around

Cybergrunt

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Secretary - Member #107
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »

Yeah, if it's a stick sounds like a throwout bearing.  But like said above, sounds travel around.  I go around the engine compartment with a Harbor Freight stethoscope.  I had a water pump start to squeal, sounded a lot worse than what it was.

Anthony Maggiotta

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:13:17 PM »

sorry I haven't been on here in a long time. I found out what it was. some how my starter came loose and the whole thing was about to fall off and that was the problem

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Vice President - Member #102
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 06:57:06 AM »

Damn, at least you found
2011 jku rubicon, black
Pages: [1]   Go Up