N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ok guy's and gal's our membership application and due's for 2016 will be collected .you can down load print and fill out and bring to the next meet and greet's
If you will not be at the next meet and greet please PM me and i will give you my mailing address

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help!  (Read 168 times)

Yorubabigpun

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
Need help!
« Reply #-1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:56:38 PM »

Hey guys im new to the forum i currently own a 99 xj with a 6 inch lift 285/75r16s did the lift myself with some help from friends i do most mechanical work myself but recently ran into an issue i cant figure out hopefully someone here can help so lift is on good no issues but when i did the transfercase drop it was all good till afew days ago the brace the transfercase sits on sounds like it moves and shakes but i had someone sit and run thru gears nothing moves? Help or suggestions? Please!!!!

Cybergrunt

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Secretary - Member #107
    • View Profile
Re: Need help!
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »

When you're hearing the noise, describe the sound more.  Is it a heavy pop or bind sound or just a rattle like a shield or linkage?  Also, what are the details when you hear the noise as far as how fast are you going, 2WD/4WD, Misc.  Is it constant or intermittent?  Was the TCase drop part of the lift kit or fabbed?  I know some guys upgrade the linkage do to other issues, Novak makes a good kit.  I've never been a fan of drops, had issues in another Jeep.  I also have a 99XJ with similar lift, I have a hack n tap for the 242.  Do you have a 231 or 242?

-Bill

Yorubabigpun

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »

Lol bill down at the bottom u lost me thats why i joind the chat learning is fundamental so i wanna say its more of a heavy poping and bind like metal stretching just putting it in gear makes the noises. Driving at low speeds and hitting bumps and holes. Yes i got the rough country 6 inch lift included the drop spacers

Cybergrunt

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »

No worries!  It will all come in time, you'll get plenty of support here.  Look at your T-Case shifter, if it has 2H, 4H, N, and 4L you have a 231 transfer case.  If it has 2WD, 4 Part Time, 4 Full Time, N, and 4L then you have a 242 transfer case.  In lieu of a T-Case drop a slip yoke eliminator can be installed on a 231 to correct the drive line angle.  For a 242, you would need a Hack n Tap.  Google both.  Getting back to the popping sound.  With a big lift you have surely changed the pinion angle unless you shimmed the rear.  How are the joints on the driveshaft?  Check the condition.  Where are you located?  We have members located everywhere.  We have weekly and monthly meets in Suffolk, Nassau, and Queens.

-Bill

Yorubabigpun

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »

So bill i have the 242 transfercase i dont have no drive shaft vibration the joints look pretty solid once again i went underneath and had someone run threw the gears and stared at the tranny mount and its solid doesnt move the sound is coming from the transfer case brace i live in queens by jfk i would love to know of any shops or people who work on these jeeps that can help out! Again thanks bill!!!

Cybergrunt

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »

Try to get to the monthly Queens meet, some great people to ask questions.  Most of us wrench and will give support.  Some of the Queens guys can chime in with a local shop name.  If you don't mind heading East, hit up John at Goonies Garage (Holtsville, L.I.) 631-307-9500.

nthsign

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 06:24:06 AM »

Howdy! Any update on your project?
Pages: [1]   Go Up