N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Paid member meet sunday march 6 2016 at jacksons in commack LI. all info in the event section .

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wobble >_<  (Read 1238 times)

Ho3z

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
Wobble >_<
« Reply #-1 on: March 17, 2015, 04:48:20 PM »

Jeep just started some front end shimmying.. Not violently shaking but it varies.
Theres so much out there about what could be the cause, i figure i should just take to a professional to diagnose & then see if i can fix myself once i receive diagnosis.

Called american tire and they quoted me 650 over the phone if the problem is the ball joints

any other wrangler savvy shops in the nyc area?

'12 2.5" Lift on 33x12.5

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Vice President - Member #102
    • View Profile
Re: Wobble >_<
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:46:13 PM »

There's a lot of things that could give you  a wobble  you may need a new steering stabilizer shock or maybe something is just loose or worn. Don't worry too much. are you running the stock shock with your  larger tires? If so that's most likely your problem
2011 jku rubicon, black

Ho3z

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:03:11 AM »

my steering stabilizer does need replacing, but i was worried i would simply be patching a larger problem by replacing it.. could that be it? and I'm running new rugged ridge shocks that came with my lift

BIG ROB

• The Enforcer
  • Forum Member
  • john 8:7 lev.24:20 psalm23:4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:09:20 AM »

If it's jk, it could be steering stabilizer. I got wobble from bad stabilizer
HEMI  !!!!!!

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »

The stabilizer shock is the #1 wobble issue, the stock shock can't handle the larger tires o the  streets of NY. Obviously don't put a stock one back. There are a lot of aftermarket shocks. I run fox shocks there a little more then some but there beefy as hell  and easy to replace and get yourself a relocation bracket for it too
2011 jku rubicon, black

DimiK

• Forum Newbie
  • DimiK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »

I just got the rough country duel steering stabilizers and you can notice an immediate difference.. Had some clearance issues with a bolt but i just grind-ed it down. I have a friend that owns a good shop in Astoria-Queens. PM me il send you his information he can help diagnose he does tires, wheel alignments and suspensions and anything related.

Jeep just started some front end shimmying.. Not violently shaking but it varies.
Theres so much out there about what could be the cause, i figure i should just take to a professional to diagnose & then see if i can fix myself once i receive diagnosis.

Called american tire and they quoted me 650 over the phone if the problem is the ball joints

any other wrangler savvy shops in the nyc area?

'12 2.5" Lift on 33x12.5

Nygiantz12

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and came across this post. My steering stabilizer actually rubs the diff cover when I max out the steering, so I've been contemplating removing it. A few buddies I know said they removed their stabilizers completely and now have a better ride. I may try the same and see if road manners improve as well.

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 05:30:06 PM »

Awesome dimik it's a little more than you  need but it will do the trick.

And Mr giantz do not remove it just figure out what's wrong  maybe it's bent a little or needs adjustment or backwards or something. Come to the meet and we will look at it
2011 jku rubicon, black

chknkatsu

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 10:44:06 AM »

okay first off. dual-steering stabilizers are a huge waste of money. throwing stabilizers at a wobble until it does away is like putting a bandage over an infection until your limb needs to be cut off.

if you're getting a strange wobble, go and check every damn bolt and bushing in the front end. have a friend sit in the truck and cycle the steering, look at your trackbar, look at your draglink, look at your ball joints. look at anything thats involved in the steering.

yes a steering stabilizer can potentially cause a wobble, but a steering stabilizer shouldnt be your immediate diagnosis.
locked, lifted, n' geared 2010 JK
foolswithtools.blogspot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up