N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ok guy's and gal's our membership application and due's for 2016 will be collected .you can down load print and fill out and bring to the next meet and greet's
If you will not be at the next meet and greet please PM me and i will give you my mailing address

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stock rim capacity  (Read 4653 times)

BooByz

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
Stock rim capacity
« Reply #-1 on: June 26, 2015, 02:54:15 AM »

Sup guys, I haven't had my Jeep for a month yet and I am already contemplating a lift kit and bigger tires. My question is, what is the max tire size/width can I put on the stock JKU Rubicon rims. I would like to but 35s on them, but have no idea if they will fit. It looks like I will need to put a 3.5" lift kit to achieve this.

I searched far and near to answer this question. All I could find is the max tire to fit on stock rims with stock suspension. Any advice would be greatly appricated!

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Vice President - Member #102
    • View Profile
Re: Stock rim capacity
« on: June 26, 2015, 06:49:06 AM »

3 or 3 1/2 is good to fit 35s. I have a 3 inch lift. If you read your stock tires it will tell you the width  as for the hight doesn't matter  but if you want 35s you should change your wheel as well or your tires will be tall and thin. If you can't afford both then wait till you can.  If you put a 12.50 wide size tire on it will look like a doughnut. 
2011 jku rubicon, black

BooByz

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »

I'm not a ffan of doughnut looking tires, thanks for the heads up. I love the stock Rubi rims and would hate to get rid of them for bigger tires.  :'(

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:46:23 PM »

Get 33s then it won't look as bad or sell the stock rims to pay for some of the cost. I  ran a 3 inch lift with the stock rubicon tires and rims for a couple of years until I was able to afford a new setup.  Just wait until you are able to do it you'll be fine  wheeling with the stock stuff.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:51:46 PM by MichaelRom »
2011 jku rubicon, black

BooByz

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:40:54 PM »

Ok, seems I am almost saved up for my first range of upgrades. I am going with a wheel and tire combo 35's found here:

http://www.extremeterrain.com/mammoth4x4boulderbeadlock-bfgoodrich-j100627-j16898-jk.html

Also a 3.5" lift from quadratec:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16400_0X46_PG.htm

My questions:
1 - Will those wheels fit on the spare tire rack out back or would I need to do some modification there as well?
2- If you check out the drop down menu at extremeterrain.com, it has an option for TPMS sensor up to '12 but I dont see anything for my '15. Will they not work?
3- What do you all of the quadratec lift kit? Has anybody used them? Thanks in advance all!!

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:48:52 PM »

Tires and wheels are nice and  you need an aftermarket tire carrier or what most of us do is get a bumper and tire carrier combo. The lift kit leaves a lot to be desired. Look at BDS with the fox shock upgrade, it's a little more but a better kit. And your gonna need to  upgrade your steering stabilizer shock witch is also fox on my truck. As for the sensors I don't know
2011 jku rubicon, black

brunkhorse

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 11:58:33 AM »

You can fit 35x12.5x17 KM2s on your stock rubicon wheel. It will look like this:

Do you plan to wheel your Jeep more moderately than just going to the beach? Like Rausch Creek? I'd stay away from fancy wheels then as they will just get scratched up. If you keep your old wheels you won't have to worry about tpms. Also don't forget you will need a Procal or something similar to recalibrate your speedometer after changing tire size.

It's recommended you reinforce your tire carrier because they are not designed to take the weight of the 35" tire. All the bumps will eventially cause your tailgate to have issues. If you don't want to spring for a whole new rear bumper and swing out tire carrier there are other options out there that just reinforce it.

As far as the lift kit the quadratec lifts are fairly new to the market so I don't know anyone that is running it. What I've come to learn from Jeep parts is that you get what you pay for. Again it depends on what you plan to use your Jeep for. If you just want the look the quadratec lift will probably be adequate. Where you might run into problems is if you off-road it and the components will start having problems.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 04:21:33 PM »

He's gonna need wheel spacers too so there's no clearing issues
2011 jku rubicon, black

BooByz

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:45 AM »

Back to the drawing board then. Thank god for this place, dont want to make any costly mistakes. As far as spacers go, any safety issues? This will also be my daily driver with the family

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »

No issues with spacers
2011 jku rubicon, black
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up