N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ok guy's and gal's our membership application and due's for 2016 will be collected .you can down load print and fill out and bring to the next meet and greet's
If you will not be at the next meet and greet please PM me and i will give you my mailing address

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bumper mounted lights  (Read 663 times)

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Bumper mounted lights
« Reply #-1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:59:39 PM »

Need a place to put some backup lights but have no room on top of your bumper and worried about breaking anything hanging under it? Me too!. You can get surface mount lights that are very nice... but my bumper bumps into rocks so that won't work for me any better than hanging lights beneath it. I decided to install lights inside my Hanson rear bumper. To begin I measured the flat areas on my bumper and got lights and some rectangular steel tube sized to fit (just about, the bottom of the bumper tapers in but it still works). I used the size of the steel tube to mark, drill, and cut the bumper to wind up with something like this;

I used decent drill bits to drill the corners starting with a pilot hole and working up in size until I was comfortable that the holes were large enough to allow me to cut the steel between them with a cut-off wheel and not have the radius of the wheel cut outside the rectangle. While drilling I kept the speed down and used WD-40 to cool and lubricate the bits. It doesn't take long to get your hole

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bumper mounted lights
« on: October 28, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »

With a little clean-up work the rectangle steel fit in the hole and I cut it to length.

You can see the bottom sticks out a little bit, I marked and trimmed that off. I also fit the lights to find out where the mounted posts would wind up and drilled holes for them.

Once I was happy with how everything fit I cleaned up the steel and broke out the welder. If you are working outside I humbly suggest flux core wire fed welding especially for us novice welders (aka grinders). The shielding gas for MIG process welding blows away in even the slightest breeze allowing the weld to be compromised by contaminants. Stick welding would work but requires a steadier hand and some practice. TIG is awesome but again if you are working outside that shielding gas is going to blow away. Anyway, here's what I wound up with, I hadn't welded in about 3 years but if you get the machine set up close to correct then flux core is pretty easy to get an ok weld with.

I did want SOME structural strength so that when I drop off ledges onto rocks these don't collapse or pop out, these welds aren't perfect but they have already been tested and did the job. Along the lines of strength, note that I placed the lights OUTSIDE the frame rails and recovery points so that the bumper retains all the original strength for the hitch and recovery points. This was part of my planning, I do occasionally pull a trailer so I wanted to keep the hitch as strong as possible.

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »

Here's another shot of it with the welds, again I don't claim to be a welder but these will do just fine for this purpose

And here's what you wind up with after some cleanup and some primer and paint

The wiring was straightforward with the directions provided and a wiring diagram I found online for the Jeep's reverse circuit. I've already made a couple of wheeling trips where the bumper has hit rock and the lights have been protected by being recessed so this has worked out really well for me.

reoland

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:09:14 AM »

Nice setup. I have the Rigid Industries Flush Leds on my rear bumper and I find them very bright.
Pages: [1]   Go Up