N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Paid member meet sunday march 6 2016 at jacksons in commack LI. all info in the event section .

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New guy - removing my lift / back to stock?  (Read 1321 times)

gmm142

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
New guy - removing my lift / back to stock?
« Reply #-1 on: August 09, 2016, 06:43:19 PM »

Hi everyone - just joined the group / just moved to NYC (from LA).  Question for y'all... I have a 2" Pro Comp lift on my '95 YJ.  I bought the lift back in the early 2000's when I was in my early 20's and could care less about the ride quality (the pro comp ride is about as stiff as it can get).  I'm now in my late 30's and married - and really only use the Jeep for street driving.  SO I'm thinking of going back to stock.  Any tips?  Should I just buy new OEM leaf springs from the dealer?  Know of any shops that could do this for a good price?

Looking forward to meeting you on the trails!

raptor 2764

Re: New guy - removing my lift / back to stock?
« on: August 09, 2016, 07:11:02 PM »

welcome to nyc jc where are you located . we have a few guy that do this work in house .  if your going back to stock , how are you going to hit trails with us ,, we are 99% all lifted

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:13:15 PM by raptor 2764 »

CJ68

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »

If your primary reason for going back to stock is poor ride quality, you can try a few things first before going back to stock.

IMO, 2" is the perfect amount of lift for a YJ. With a (few) :P other things done, I have 37" tires under my YJ with the equivalent of 2" of lift.

Did this procomp lift include dumb long "lift" shackles? YJ shackles should never be longer than required to prevent spring binding. I would say nothing longer than stock ever but springs with more lift have more arc to them and require a slightly longer shackle because the more arch in the spring, the further the shackle has to swing as the spring compresses. I ask this question in relation to suggestion #2 below.

#1 is try different shocks. The function of the shock is to slow down the movement of suspension travel. Slowing down the movement too much makes it feel stiff and harsh. Personally I am a fan of Bilstein shocks but they tend to valve on the stiff side so I did the leg work with a tape measure and looking through their catalog to find a lighter valved universal fit 5125 series with their lightest 170/60 valving a specific part number would not help you here becuase I have other things done to my Jeep and the mounting and length would not fit your Jeep. It does look like Bilstein offers 5125's with the stem style top mount that YJ's need in the front. Maybe they have a shock that will work for you. As another alternative when I put a 4" lift on my friend's YJ I used all Rubicon Express parts and their monotube shocks. It road pretty damn good. You can check to see if they have shocks for a 2" lift. I think they might. And they would be pin top shocks as well. Rough Country shocks are like driving on bricks... Ranchos tend to leak early in life. I would even recommend some cheapo Monroe's but do not know if you can get them a little longer for the 2" lift. You probably can with a little research.

#2 is remove the track bars front and rear. No really, YJ's are fine without them and in most cases it softens the ride. The thing I caution when doing this is if your shackle bushings are worn out or very soft and squishy, the axles will side step a little bit the handling might feel a little more loose than it was with the track bars installed. Steering might feel like it darts around and wanders a little more as well. But unless you fundamentally change the YJ front suspension (google: shackle reversal) all YJ's are victim to this type of handling even with track bars installed. Fresh urethane shackle bushings will keep the suspension tighter.

The caveat here is if you have huge long ridiculous shackles on the Jeep, track bars or no, there is too much lateral force being applied to the shackle bushings and removing the track bars just makes it worse. In this case replacing the shackles with shorter or stock one will lower the Jeep down a little and correct a lot of other geometry problems that those shackles caused.

#3 With leaf springs, shackle angle is important to dial in the ride and behavior. With the Jeep sitting on level ground the shackle should be around 30-sh degrees from vertical. As the shackle angle gets closer to vertical the ride gets stiffer. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to change this other than different springs or moving the spring or shackle mounts on the frame. The uninformed think that boomerang shackles do something to improve their suspension. They do not, they exist so the shackle can swing further out and still clear the rear bumper. If the boomerang shackle has a third bolt in the middle, they can also at times prevent the shackle from inverting under extreme flex when offroad. Otherwise, a shackle is a two-force member. Whatever shape exists between the two bolts means nothing. All that matters is the location of the pivot points at each end.

I feel like I hit a sweet spot with my YJ suspension that would be very difficult to improve upon without ditching the leaf springs and going to a linked type coil spring setup. I am running Rubicon Express RE1445 springs and Bilstein's lightest valved 5125 shocks available. My Jeep rides almost as good as a stock TJ now.

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Vice President - Member #102
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 10:43:28 AM »

Welcome. I  think just updating a few parts like shocks should help a lot because you don't have a  big lift. Also tires and wheels make a difference,  larger rims will improve ride quality and it might be cheaper than going back to stock
2011 jku rubicon, black
Pages: [1]   Go Up