N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ok guy's and gal's our membership application and due's for 2016 will be collected .you can down load print and fill out and bring to the next meet and greet's
If you will not be at the next meet and greet please PM me and i will give you my mailing address

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Amanda's 1969 Jeepster Commando  (Read 2794 times)

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Amanda's 1969 Jeepster Commando
« Reply #-1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:26:31 PM »

Just picked this up from another club member, she's really rough around the edges but has great bones and could be something great with some effort. I will be building it for my wife Amanda but will also need to "test drive" it once in a while myself. We want something that she can drive on the trails but can also take to work on nice days with the top dropped.

The plan right now is to get it basically mechanically sound and to replace most of the floor, both front fenders, the tailgate and replace the top with a soft top. The floor and rockers are just wasted, going to have to put a temporary frame in the body and then cut out just about all of the floor and the inner and outer rockers. The engine starts and runs pretty well, looks like the carb was recently rebuilt and the distributor was upgraded from points to HEI. The brakes need to probably be completely replaced from the master cylinder out but that's pretty easy. Amanda doesn't drive manual trans so I am going to have to convert it to auto at some point. So far I've really just charged the battery and vacuumed and scraped as much of the rust and junk out as I could.  Here's what I am dealing with.

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Vice President - Member #102
    • View Profile
Re: Amanda's 1969 Jeepster Commando
« on: August 11, 2016, 06:30:43 AM »

8) nice
2011 jku rubicon, black

CJ68

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:12:10 AM »

I tried to get my interested in this so she would let me buy it. No go... Lucky bastard.

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 09:26:34 PM »

There's been some heavy discussion on if we were going resto (never really top choice), resto-mod, or just accepting the tub is beat up and just going down and dirty...  Well Amanda came home from work yesterday saying there are Monstaliner color samples coming, looks like that last option won. The current favorite on color is named "Sans Panties"... poetic justice for a "Commando"! LOL

insanitize

• NYCJC Member
  • Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 10:18:38 AM »

you may want to join this group jeepstercommandoclub.com/. Lot's of useful info. They also have a facebook page.
Good luck with it.
I have a 72 and try to use it as much as possible. Bronco Kev (also a member here) also has a 72 Commando.
2007 Modded and abused, the trashiest JK around

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »

Thanks Insanitize, I am on that forum with the same screen name, nice to see it recommended! I didn't know about the Facebook page, I'll look for that.

I got off the couch and braved the heat for a couple hours yesterday and got the seats, floor mats, seat belts, and some stainless steel pop riveted floor panels out to get it to almost a clean slate. The floor is at least as bad as I thought it was. This thing MAY have an aftermarket gas tank/skid though. Tonight after work I started looking at the under-dash wiring and yanked out the Sony deck. That wiring is scary to say the least, wire taps all over the place, tape coming apart, cooked wires and insulation... its bad.

Cybergrunt

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Secretary - Member #107
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »

Can't wait to see this build Sean.

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:46:47 PM »

I have been pretty bad about updating this... the winter was fairly uneventful but prior to the hard top going back on I got the seats out, braced the tub with some 1" square tube and some help from my boys, pulled out some of the rusty floor, and built a new body mount, inner rocker, floor riser, wheel tub front, parts of the door jam... all for the passenger side so far. Ok, time for some pics;

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Vice President - Member #102
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »

Thought you gave up, slow and steady gets the race done
2011 jku rubicon, black

stwilson74

• Forum Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 07:12:11 AM »

No I took the winter off since I don't have indoor space to work on this. I spent the weekend cleaning up some stuff in the garage so I can start making some progress.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up