N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ok guy's and gal's our membership application and due's for 2016 will be collected .you can down load print and fill out and bring to the next meet and greet's
If you will not be at the next meet and greet please PM me and i will give you my mailing address

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front Bumper Replacement: To Change or Not to Change... That is the question...  (Read 1572 times)

Dom

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
Front Bumper Replacement: To Change or Not to Change... That is the question...
« Reply #-1 on: December 24, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »

Ok... so my factory front bumper took a hit and has an ugly dent. I was going to replace it but then to to thinking an nice after-market with winch might be nice.

I'm hearing that there is a danger that the air bag might not deploy with an after-market bumper. Any thoughts on this?

2012 Wrangler Rubicon

NJJeeperNick

• Forum Member
  • JEEP-its in my blood
    • View Profile
    • MY OFFICIAL BUILD THREAD

Not sure with your specific vehicle but an aftermarket bumper probably won't give much reason to deploy. What ever gets in your way though eh I feel bad for them. Find out where all the sensors are located for the air bags. 1 being by the front bumper. A good enough accident will bend that bumper and hit the sesnor and let's pray to god you never have to worry about that
3" zone AAL,  IRO. LcA, IRO tracbar, ZJ tie rod, JKs quick discos, 235/70/16 destination ATs, FULLY swayless, Disc brakes all around, ruff stuff Dana 30 diff cover, and some other goodies

MichaelRom

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Club Vice President - Member #102
    • View Profile

They don't effect them. The sensors are not in the bumper
2011 jku rubicon, black

bronco kev

• Forum Member
    • View Profile

Ok... so my factory front bumper took a hit and has an ugly dent. I was going to replace it but then to to thinking an nice after-market with winch might be nice.

I'm hearing that there is a danger that the air bag might not deploy with an after-market bumper. Any thoughts on this?
somebody hit you?

Dom

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile

Yeah... that came out wrong. I did the hitting.
2012 Wrangler Rubicon

bronco kev

• Forum Member
    • View Profile

Yeah... that came out wrong. I did the hitting.
well it still took a hit.coulda been either way.i hit someone on thursday and got rear ended on sunday! lol

drivingfool

• Forum Member
  • Word
    • View Profile

All the things that determine airbag deployment (accelerometers and the computer) are NOT in the bumper.  The 'crush cans' only dampen kinetic transfer between the bumper and frame.  You want an aftermarket bumper to house your winch and potentially lights.  The cost of a winchplate for a stock bumper can be anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of a new bumper with a builtin winchplate.  There's no hidden downside, aside from the obvious changes in physical presence. 

wb joe

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Founder/President - Member #101
    • View Profile

no prob with deployment because the sensor is looking for a high shock.if any thing it would make it dep on a low inpact hit.but i have never heard of any probs
Pages: [1]   Go Up