N.Y.C. Jeep Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ok guy's and gal's our membership application and due's for 2016 will be collected .you can down load print and fill out and bring to the next meet and greet's
If you will not be at the next meet and greet please PM me and i will give you my mailing address

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head Tick  (Read 1273 times)

david_wmd

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
Head Tick
« Reply #-1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »

Was wondering if any of you guys on here have ever had lifter tick or a head tick from your straight sixes.  I think my noise is a bad lifter just don't want to go taking the head apart if I don't have to.  Also if any of you have tackled this how bad was the job.

Thanks guys
David

NJJeeperNick

• Forum Member
  • JEEP-its in my blood
    • View Profile
    • MY OFFICIAL BUILD THREAD
Re: Head Tick
« on: January 14, 2013, 06:05:29 AM »

Need some more info on your vehicle and when do you hear the noise
3" zone AAL,  IRO. LcA, IRO tracbar, ZJ tie rod, JKs quick discos, 235/70/16 destination ATs, FULLY swayless, Disc brakes all around, ruff stuff Dana 30 diff cover, and some other goodies

david_wmd

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »

It's a 2000 jeep Cherokee. Has the updated cool water head. Stock motor.  Stock injectors. Stock intake, just a dynomax cat back. Make noise at idle and through the rpm band. Noise increases with rpm. Somedays quieter than others. Sounds like a diesel, but it's not an exhaust leak.

wb joe

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Founder/President - Member #101
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:11:56 PM »

how's the oil PSI?sometimes on these motors they loose there oil flow through the berings and you can read good on the guage but its not getting to the upper part of the eng

david_wmd

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »

Pressure is high between 40-60 when cold. When full warmed up and after driving around for a while runs around 15psi and climbs ten psi for every 1000RPM if not more. Oil is good and also pump was changed.

NJJeeperNick

• Forum Member
  • JEEP-its in my blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »

On the 2000 model xj, they are known for having the 0331 aluminum block which can cause issues. Try the simplest fix, a new gas cap. I'm hoping all you hear is the gas evap under the good on the passenger side and nothing else. How many miles on her
3" zone AAL,  IRO. LcA, IRO tracbar, ZJ tie rod, JKs quick discos, 235/70/16 destination ATs, FULLY swayless, Disc brakes all around, ruff stuff Dana 30 diff cover, and some other goodies

david_wmd

• Forum Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:05 PM »

I have 150k  I do have a check engine light for a leak in the gas system but its not the cap.  Or at least I don't believe its the cap.

wb joe

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Founder/President - Member #101
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »

i heard it it is deff not the evap.to me it sounded like colapst liffters or a strech timming chain flapping around

NJJeeperNick

• Forum Member
  • JEEP-its in my blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »

Hmmm. That sucks. Maybe open the top end up. Check for cracks and such. Also check out cherokee forum. Reason being, I know the 2000 xj engines, some of them, can be trouble
Pages: [1]   Go Up